The new and improved Workshop Heaven Scary Sharpening Kit (Basic) contains:
- A rock solid, 14" wide block of dead flat 10mm thick float glass (360mm (14.1") x 220mm (8.6") x 10mm (0.4")). This provides the ideal substrate for use with sheet abrasives.
- An anti-skid mat to support the float glass and keep it in place.
- 2 sheets each of 40 micron, 30 micron and 9 micron, pressure sensitive adhesive backed, aluminium oxide microfinishing film. A heavier duty version of standard lapping film with a thicker backing and a stronger resin coating.
- 2 sheets of 3 micron lapping film. The 3 micron grade has a 'P' resin coating making it slightly more durable than the other superfine grades. The 3 micron film is roughly equivalent to an 8000 grit Japanese waterstone.
- 250ml of HoneRite Gold - a concentrated water additive that makes water non-corrosive and ideal for honing.
- 500ml Spray Bottle
Price if items purchased individually: £81.05
3M lapping and microfinishing films are extremely accurate superabrasives that provide precise, consistently uniform, close-tolerance finishes. A high-strength polyester film backing is coated with premium, micron-graded mineral particles that are electrostatically oriented for greater cutting efficiency. The particles are bonded into a layer of resin that holds the particles in place for increased durability. PSA is the acronym for Pressure Sensitive Adhesive and is a heavy duty version of the adhesive on the back of a Post-It note.
To use, cut each sheet into four 2½" strips, peel off the backing and carefully fix a strip of each grade next to each other on the piece of float glass applying firm pressure for an even secure bond, be careful to avoid trapping air bubbles. Spray a drop of diluted HoneRite Gold (or water if you are using this method in conjunction with waterstones) on the surface of the lapping film to lubricate the process and prevent swarf from building up.
With the blade angled fractionally steeper than the primary bevel angle, work the down the grits using pull strokes only, This system works particularly well with a honing guide, we recommend Richard Kell's honing guides because of their exceptional accuracy and repeatability.
A few strokes on the back of the blade starting from the 9 micron film will remove the burr and leave you with an exquisitely fine edge.
Matthew's Sharpening Chisels - Practice Video