The Quangsheng No.6 fore plane is the most manageable of the three types of long flattening planes. Popular with furniture makers it is a nicely sized workhorse for dressing and squaring stock accurately to dimension.
The name 'fore plane' originates from an earlier application where this size of plane would have been used be'fore' the others for the cruder task of levelling off boards that had been riven (split) and then hewn with axes and adzes. In modern usage it would be more appropriate to think of it as smaller, more nimble version of the 'try' 'trying' or 'truing' plane.
Quangsheng bedrock pattern handplanes, unlike the more common Bailey pattern, have a full contact area between the body and the frog, hence the name 'bedrock'. The frog can also be adjusted to widen or narrow the mouth of the plane without the need to remove the irons. Simply loosen the two locking screws on either side at the back of the frog, adjust the central screw to set your desired mouth opening and then nip up the side screws again. This system is easier, faster, much more accurate, and less likely to damage the cutting edge.
- Precision ground, unbreakable CR40 alloy steel casting.
- Engineered lateral adjuster with guide bearing and brass tab.
- Low profile cap iron.
- Brushed finish stainless steel lever cap.
- Hardwood handles.
- Conforms to British Standard.
- Sole Dimensions 17-3/4in x 2-7/8in (451mm x 72mm)
- 1/8in (3mm) thick 2-3/8in (60.3mm) cutting iron made from T10 carbon steel hardened to RC63.
Please note that we are unable to ship Quangsheng products to North America due to retail exclusivity restrictions.