IN TRANSIT - DUE MID-DECEMBER (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
In many ways it is better to think of the 5½ as a short try plane or panel plane, rather than a broad jack plane. It takes a broad, shallow shaving, so if you work with reasonably straight or pre-machined material it will deal with small corrections on wide surfaces very efficiently.
Conversely, if you work with timber that starts off like a propeller blade, the narrower No.5 honed with a steep camber and used across the grain (the traditional function of a jack plane) might be more suitable.
The 5-1/2 is a popular choice with students and beginners, it is comfortable, well balanced and if set up carefully makes a reasonable compromise if you can’t have dedicated try and smoothing planes.
- Precision ground, unbreakable CR40 alloy steel casting.
- Engineered lateral adjuster with guide bearing and brass tab.
- Low profile cap iron.
- Brushed finish stainless steel lever cap.
- Hardwood handles.
- Conforms to British Standard.
- Cutting iron: ⅛" (3mm) thick 2⅜" (60.3mm)
- Cutting iron made from T10 carbon steel hardened to RC63.
- Sole Dimensions: 380mm x 73mm.
Please note that we are unable to ship Quangsheng products to North America due to retail exclusivity restrictions.