Larger and heavier than a No.4, the Quangsheng No.4½ smoother takes the same broad 2⅜" iron as the 5½ and 6.
Aside from the convenience of interchangeable irons, the main benefit of a large smoothing plane is that you can take a broader shaving, so it covers more ground in fewer passes than a 4 or 3. The other advantage is its weight – at just under 6lb it has plenty of mass, giving it the same planted feel as an infill plane.
Quangsheng bedrock pattern handplanes, unlike the more common Bailey pattern, have a full contact area between the body and the frog, hence the name 'bedrock'. The frog can also be adjusted to widen or narrow the mouth of the plane without the need to remove the irons. Simply loosen the two locking screws on either side at the back of the frog, adjust the central screw to set your desired mouth opening and then nip up the side screws again. This system is easier, faster, much more accurate, and less likely to damage the cutting edge.
- Precision ground, unbreakable CR40 alloy steel casting.
- Engineered lateral adjuster with guide bearing and brass tab.
- Low profile cap iron.
- Brushed finish stainless steel lever cap.
- Hardwood handles.
- Conforms to British Standard
- Sole Dimensions 10⅜" x 2⅞" (265mm x 72mm)
- ⅛" (3mm) thick 2⅜"(60mm) cutting iron made from T10 carbon steel hardened to RC63.
Please note that we are unable to ship Quangsheng products to North America due to retail exclusivity restrictions.