The Quangsheng No. 3 smoothing plane is a lighter, slightly narrower version of the No 4. Usually used with a three finger grip (the index finger rests on the side of the blade), the No.3 has a delicate, precise feel and is a good choice for smaller workpieces, younger woodworkers, or people with smaller hands.
Smoothing planes are designed to take very fine shavings to create the final surface that you will present to your client. Their short sole allows them to make continuous contact with the timber and leave a clean, consistent finish.
Quangsheng bedrock pattern handplanes, unlike the more common Bailey pattern, have a full contact area between the body and the frog, hence the name 'bedrock'. The frog can also be adjusted to widen or narrow the mouth of the plane without the need to remove the irons. Simply loosen the two locking screws on either side at the back of the frog, adjust the central screw to set your desired mouth opening and then nip up the side screws again. This system is easier, faster, much more accurate, and less likely to damage the cutting edge.
- Precision ground, unbreakable CR40 alloy steel casting.
- Engineered lateral adjuster with guide bearing and brass tab.
- Low profile cap iron.
- Brushed finish stainless steel lever cap.
- Hardwood handles.
- Conforms to British Standard.
- Sole Dimensions: 235mm x 56mm.
- 1/8in (3mm) thick 1-3/4in (44.5mm) cutting iron made from T10 carbon steel hardened to RC63.
Please note that we are unable to ship Quangsheng products to North America due to retail exclusivity restrictions.