French chalk (magnesium silicate) is wonderfully useful stuff to have around the workshop with a broad range of uses. Also known as industrial talc or unscented talc we supply it in stick form or as a superfine powder. Among other things it can be used for:
- in a muslin pounce bag for transferring layout lines through a perforated pattern.
- as a lubricant for moving wooden parts (drawer runners or sliding cupboard doors for example).
- as a stropping compound.
- in tongue and groove floorboard joints to reduce squeaking.
- sprinkled over bicycle inner tube repairs to stop the tube sticking to the tyre.
- lifting grease stains from clothing.
- lubricating rubber seals to stop them sticking together.
- as a thickener for shellac.